Q. Recently the U.S. President Donald J. Trump has signed into law the Asia Reassurance Initiative Act (ARIA). Which of the following is/are the provisions of the Act?
1. Establishes a multifaceted strategy to increase U.S. security, economic interests and values in the Indo-Pacific region.
2. Authorizes US$ 1.5 billion annually for 5 years to enhance U.S. presence in the Indo-Pacific.
3. Renames Pacific Command (PACOM) as the US Indo Pacific Command
A. 1 Only
B. 1 and 2
C. 1 and 3
D. 1, 2 and 3
US president has signed the ‘Asia Reassurance Initiative Act’. The law aims at countering the encroaching influence and growing threat from China, and to reinvigorate U.S. leadership in Asia.
Features of the Act
- The important features of the act are:
- The act aims to establish a multifaceted U.S. Strategy to increase U.S. security, economic interests, and values in the Indo-Pacific region.
- The act authorizes the spending of $1.5 billion over a ve-year period to enhance cooperation with America’s strategic regional allies in the region.
- Citing China’s illegal construction and militarization of artificial features in the South China Sea and coercive economic practices, the new law calls for countering China’s influence to undermine the international system.
- The act notes that increased presence throughout Southeast Asia of the Islamic State and other international terrorist organizations threaten the United States.
- The act recognizes the vital role of the strategic partnership between the United States and India in promoting peace and security in the Indo-Pacific region and calls for strengthening and broadening of diplomatic, economic, and security ties between the United States and India.
- The act calls on the U.S. Secretary of State, in conjunction with the Secretary of the Treasury, to justify the termination of U.S. support for any United Nations Security Council resolutions sanctioning North Korea or the lifting of any unilateral U.S. sanctions on North Korea.
- The act reasserts US support to Taiwan and calls on President Trump to encourage the travel of high level United States officials to Taiwan, in accordance with the Taiwan Travel Ac.
Trump Signs Asia Reassurance Initiative Act (ARIA) Into Law